Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus



So yesterday night I saw Heath Ledger's last film, just for the sake of seeing Heath Ledger in his last role. I have to say my opinion of it was marred by the Independent's review of it, which gave it a meagre one star, meaning that I went into that cinema already predisposed to see it as a bad-quality film. People, pre-film review reading: not good.

To my surprise, the film was really enjoyable! Perhaps because of my friend Shannon sitting next to me giggling throughout, but enjoyable all the same. I was really impressed by the way they handled the switches from Ledger to the three other actors. I had expected Ledger --> Replacement Actor one --> replacement actor two --> replacement actor three, but instead they had Ledger, then had him turn into his replacement actors when Ledger's characters enters the imaginarium. Which makes me wonder, did they purposefully film the scenes outside of the imaginarium BEFORE they filmed the ones in there?

I have to say Heath Ledger is not at his best in this role. He still acts well, it's just not a role I will remember him for (that title goes to his rendition of The Joker). Johnny Depp is, as always, endearingly witty in his performance, Jude Law is a bit too wide-eyed and over-exaggerating, and Colin Farrell is just mleh. Lily Cole was..interesting. Her boobs got airbrushed, big time. I won't criticise her because anything I say cannot be taken seriously due to the fact that I am clearly jealous of her (starring with Ledger, a UG at cambridge, a model being some of the obvious reasons).

The plot was.. I want to say 'cute'. It was slightly convoluted, with several script lines and events confusing me. However the message that the imagination and stories are a crucial part of human life and of society is something I really agree with.

The Independent review I read gave it 1 star, essentially because (I quote loosely) Terry Gilliam has a great imagination; it's just a shame that what he imagines is really, really boring. I agree, it was not the tightest plot with a structure that is easily followable. But I imagine that they had to rush the production considerably after the frantic chaos that must have been caused by Ledger's death (RIP), which may go some way to explaining some of the gaps. All in all, a commendable effort from Gilliam, even if an altogether not so successful one.

1 comment:

Mary said...

i think if heath ledger were still alive, he would be remembered for this role, mainly because he would have had much more time on-screen. though yes, i do agree, his rendition of the joker is one to remember, because it was pulled off with such flair and style.

i thought the film was really good! yes, a bit disjointed, but surely that is what the imaginarium is? the papers weren't too loving about the film, but i think the film will get an oscar nomination for best visual effects or something. the CGI was incredible.